The 2018 South Carolina Humanities Festival will take place in Aiken on April 12 – 14, 2018. There are a wide variety of programs planned, including a student poetry competition. “All Aboard for Poetry” is a special competition celebrating the Aiken experience for students ages 6 – 18. Submissions are being accepted through March 1, 2018.
Students are invited to write a poem about the Aiken experience in any style. Subject matter might include Aiken history, prominent figures, landmarks, notable events, and so on. Winners will be notified by March 15, 2018, and awards will be presented at a special ceremony at the Aiken Center for the Arts on April 13 at 7:00 p.m.
How to Enter:
There are three age groups:
Group 1: Ages 6 – 10 years
Group 2: Ages 11 – 14 years
Group 3: Ages 15 – 18 years
Either email your submission to email@example.com with the subject heading of “All Aboard for Poetry” and your age group, or mail your submission to:
Roy Seeger, Box 30
471 University Parkway
University of South Carolina Aiken
Aiken, SC 29801
- There is no entry fee
- Submit up to three poems, no more than one poem per page.
- Email submissions should include all the poems in one Word document or PDF file.
- Each submission should include a cover page with the author’s contact information, age group, poem titles, and a brief biography explaining your connection to Aiken.
- Contestants in Group 1 and 2 must also include a parent’s phone and email.
- The author’s information should appear nowhere on the poems.
For further details of the 2018 South Carolina Humanities Festival, visit the Facebook page: www.facebook.com/2018SCHF.