The SC Center for the Book Awards Program honors excellence in writing, teaching, and advocacy of the literary arts. This year, the Center seeks nominations in these three categories:
1. Writing: SC writer of any genre whose work has been published in the last year (2009)
2. Teaching: SC teacher of the literary or language arts (at any level or type of school)
3. Advocacy: SC person or organization that works to promote the literary arts and to foster a creative atmosphere in the state
The criteria for nominees are:
• The nominee must be a living South Carolina resident or an active South Carolina organization.
• The nominee must be a published writer, a current teacher, or an active promoter of the literary arts in South Carolina, as described in a one page nomination letter.
Nomination forms should be accompanied by a letter (one page or shorter) to the SCCFTB Awards Committee explaining why the nominee should receive the award. Nomination deadline is July 23, 2010. Nomination forms and letters should be mailed to SCCFTB Awards Committee, C/O South Carolina Center for the Book, P.O. Box 11469, Columbia, SC 29211. Forms and letters may also be faxed to 803-734-8676 Attn: SC Center for the Book Awards Committee.
2009—Literary Arts Advocacy: Free Times; Teaching: Libby Collins, Dent Middle School; Writing: Leonard Todd
2008—Literary Arts Advocacy: Beaufort County Arts Council; Teaching: Eileen Bergreen, Hilton Head Island Middle School; Writing: Mary Alice Monroe.
2007—Dr. Walter Edgar
2006—SC Young Writers Conference
2005—Hub City Writers Project
2004—Beaufort County Library
The South Carolina Center for the Book is the South Carolina affiliate of the Library of Congress Center for the Book and is a cooperative project of the South Carolina State Library, the University of South Carolina School of Library and Information Science, and SC Humanities. Formerly known as the Palmetto Book Alliance, the SC Center for the Book changed its name in 2006 to correspond with the 49 other Centers for the Book across the country. The Center is located at the SC State Library at 1430 Senate Street in Columbia. Nomination forms are available at www.sccenterforthebook.org.