To host a Speakers Bureau: Humanities Out Loud program, please complete and submit the one-page application. The application should be submitted four weeks in advance of the desired program date.
Please return the application to SC Humanities office:
Fill out the online application below
Download the application and
Mail: PO Box 5287 • Columbia SC 29250
Download the Application as PDF
HOW TO APPLY
- Choose your program.
- Select a speaker and topic. Choose a few alternates as well, bearing in mind that not all speakers are available at all times. Call SC Humanities at 803-771-2477 for the speaker’s contact information.
- Make arrangements with the speaker.
- When you contact the speaker, be prepared to agree upon specifics: date, time, venue, topic, and—when appropriate—meals, travel, and lodging. SC Humanities will pay the speaker a $250 honorarium:the sponsoring organization is responsible for any other cash expenses.
- Complete and submit Speakers Bureau: Humanities Out Loud Application Form.
- The application must be received by SC Humanities no later than four weeks prior to the date of the program. If you have any questions about the form or about estimating cost share, please feel free to contact us.
- Expect a response in approximately two weeks.
- Awards are based on availability of funds, potential audience, and evaluations of previous programs. Also, sponsoring organizations are eligible for two speakers per year, and each speaker is limited to eight presentations per year, both of which will factor into the application valuation and approval.
- Approved applications will receive an award packet.
- Your award packet will contain an award letter, evaluation forms, and publicity materials. The speaker will receive a separate letter of confirmation and a program evaluation form. Payment of honorarium is made directly to the speaker by SC Humanities.
BEFORE THE PROGRAM
- Organize well and make all necessary arrangements.
- Be sure to contact the speaker to confirm dates and times, obtain any necessary audio/visual equipment, make room reservations, and coordinate volunteer or staff help for the event.
- Publicize your event.
- To attract the biggest audience possible, start by utilizing traditional methods such as brightly-colored flyers distributed throughout your community, press releases for local media outlets and organizational/community newsletters, and word-of-mouth advertising through staff and colleagues. You should also investigate localized Internet promotions, such as community-based Web sites, events calendars posted by local media, and public library sites. Also, call your local cable company and ask about submitting an event announcement for their public access channel.
- Acknowledge SC Humanities.
- Remember to acknowledge the support of SC Humanities in all publicity and promotional materials.
DURING & AFTER THE PROGRAM
- Acknowledge SC Humanities.
- Please be sure to acknowledge SC Humanities support when the speaker is announced.
- Complete evaluation forms.
- Please complete and return all project forms by the date specified in your award letter. If you have any questions about the forms, feel free to contact SC Humanities.